Brexit: Frequently Asked Questions for EU, EEA or Swiss citizens

For more information on available healthcare in the UK and other countries, please access:

  1. 1. What is the impact of Brexit on European citizens in the UK?

  2. If you are an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen resident in the UK you will need to apply for Settled Status or Pre-Settled Status through the EU Settlement Scheme which is managed by the Home Office.  You must make your application for UK residency by the 30 June 2021 deadline.  For more information, please visit:

  3. 2. How do I prove my right to work in the UK?

    Prior to the 30 June 2021 deadline you can prove your right to work by:

    • EU, EEA or Swiss citizens can use their passport or national identity card
    • EU, EEA and Swiss citizens and their family members can use the online right to work checking service

    The online checking service will generate a share code. The employer can then use this code on the ‘employers’ online service’ to confirm your right to work.  For more information, please visit:

  4. 3. If I am not an UK resident, can I join my family in the UK after 30 June 2021?

    You can apply to join your EU, EEA or Swiss family member if they started living in the UK by 31 December 2020.

  5. 4. Do I have to be in the UK physically to make my EUSS application?

    No, it is possible for applicants to apply from the EU but they must meet the eligibility requirements of the scheme.
    For more information, please visit:

  6. 5. What is a Frontier Worker permit?

    A Frontier Worker permit lets you come to the UK to work while living elsewhere.
    You may be eligible if all of the following apply:

    • you’re from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein
    • you live outside of the UK
    • you have worked in the UK by 31 December 2020
    • you have kept working in the UK at least once every 12 months since you started working here

    For more information, please visit:

  7. 6. What is the new immigration system?

    The UK has introduced a points-based immigration system from 1st January 2021 that treats EU and non-EU citizens equally. Irish citizens can continue to freely enter, live and work in the UK.
    Free movement with the European Union (EU) ended on 31 December 2020 and there are new arrangements for EU citizens.
    For more information, please visit:

  8. 7. What are the minimum requirements for a skilled workers?

    To qualify for a Skilled Worker visa, you must:

    • work for a UK employer that’s been approved by the Home Office
    • have a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from your employer with information about the role you’ve been offered in the UK
    • do a job that’s on the list of eligible occupations
    • be paid a minimum salary - how much depends on the type of work you do

    For more information, please visit:

  9. 8. How will Brexit impact access to health care?

    The Withdrawal Agreement guarantees the right to access lifetime healthcare services for the following:

    • UK citizens legally resident in EEA countries
    • EEA citizens legally resident in the UK before the end of the transition period
    • Frontier Workers
    • those who live in both the UK and an EU state
  10. 9. How does Brexit Impact me?

    Complete your full assessment on:

  11. 10. Where can I get additional help?

    You can always ask for guidance and advice at your local TBC office. If you still feel worried about Brexit and your situation, please visit the below sites to access a full list of support services available: